A candle launched by actress Gwyneth Paltrow last year has reportedly exploded in a woman’s living room.
Jody Thompson, a 50-year-old media consultant from the UK, said she had “never seen anything like it” when the product — a candle with the name “This Smells Like My Vagina” blew up into flames after being lit inside her home.
Thompson said she had won the candle as a prize after taking part in a quiz, but using the product soon turned into a “scary” experience, which could have “burned the place down” if it had been worse.
Jody Thompson told The Sun: “The candle exploded and emitted huge flames, with bits flying everywhere. I’ve never seen anything like it. The whole thing was ablaze, and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room.”
Thompson revealed: “It could have burned the place down. It was scary at the time, but funny looking back that Gwyneth’s vagina candle exploded in my living room.”
However, she did look on the bright side and said it was “funny looking back” at the incident and how a “vagina candle” advertised by A-lister Gwyneth Paltrow exploded in her living room.
Many people took to social media to poke fun at Gwyneth Paltrow’s unique candle. “Pu$$y Poppin hahahahhshahhhaahahah 🌺The jokes will write themselves. It’s too easy!!” wrote this woman on Instagram.
“Fire in the hole! 🔥Bet it’s been a while since her fanny exploded!! I threw that candle in the trash, stunk the house out of kippers!!,” claimed this social media user.
“Sounds like it had an orgasm,” joked another lady. “That vagina needs an examination then,” said a fourth person.
The candle is a product advertised on Goop — Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle business, which started in her kitchen as a newsletter more than a decade ago back in 2008.
The scent came after a joke she made to Douglas Little when the pair worked on a perfume, where Paltrow remarked: “This smells like my vagina.”
The scent is a combination of several floral tones, including geranium, Damask rose, and bergamot.
It was launched in January 2020 and cost $75. The company claims that since Jody Thompson had not purchased the candle through Goop, there was no way to confirm if it was an authentic product.
However, a spokesperson for Goop reassured customers that all their products must pass safety standards and adhere to strict guidelines before they are sold to the public.
The spokeswoman told The Sun: “We’re in touch with the woman to see if she followed the specific fire safety instructions included with the candle, such as trimming the wick and not burning it for more than two hours.”
As a precaution, Goop has conveyed the details of the incident to the manufacturers of the candle and issued Thompson with some free Goop products as a goodwill gesture.