Prince Harry is reportedly self-isolating at home in California after his grandfather, Prince Philip, was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday.
A source has said that Prince Harry has made the sacrifice to begin to self-isolate at home in Montecito, California, where he and a very pregnant Meghan Markle, along with their son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, have been living since last summer.
If he would be required to travel to the U.K. on short notice, Prince Harry has taken precautions and remains at home, where he is being updated on the Duke of Edinburgh‘s condition.
Prince Harry will leave his pregnant wife, son, and unborn child in California and fly by private jet if necessary to be with the royal family.
The Mirror cited a source who explained: “Harry is, of course, concerned for his grandfather’s welfare and is being kept regularly informed on his condition. He has chosen to stay in case he is required to return to the U.K. at short notice.”
Prince Philip — who is due to turn 100 years old in June — has spent three nights in the hospital already.
On Wednesday, Buckingham Palace stated his admission to King Edward VII hospital in London was “precautionary,” following advice from his doctor.
And while he is not considered an emergency case, the Palace has not disclosed the reason for Prince Philip’s hospital stay, but it has been confirmed it is not related to coronavirus.
Royal expert Penny Junor said that since Prince Philip does not enjoy fuss, he may struggle with all the attention from medics while in hospital.
Meanwhile, in the US, Prince Harry has arranged to fly via private jet if he needs to travel to England.
A source said he is “concerned” about his grandfather’s condition but is being kept informed of the latest developments.
Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, quit their roles as working members of the royal family last year and moved to Canada before settling in California during the summer.
If Prince Harry is to travel to the U.K., he will undergo a coronavirus test before and after traveling.
Under the U.K.’s current system, the USA could be added to the “red list,” which requires passengers to quarantine in hotels monitored by the government.
This week, it has also been confirmed that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will not be returning to their royal roles.
One year after the royal couple announced that they were exiting London and all that it entails, Buckingham Palace confirmed in a statement that Prince Harry and his wife would be stripped of their patronages, (their royal involvement with numerous U.K. charities).
Buckingham Palace’s statement read: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family. Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family, it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
Queen Elizabeth II has revealed that Prince Harry has lost his honorary military appointments.