Woman Dies After Charging Phone Falls Into Bathwater — Friend, Who Found Her, Almost Got Electrocuted Too

Olesya Semenova iPhone Bath Tub Russia

A woman, who made the terrible decision to have her charging iPhone 8 near her while taking her bath, has died. According to confirmed reports, this week, Olesya Semenova lost her life after being electrocuted.

The 24-year-old Russian woman was soaking in a bath when her device fell in the water, killing her instantly. Semenova was alone at the time of the horrible accident.

Hours later, Semenova’s lifeless body was discovered by her horrified roommate, Daria, in their apartment located in Arkhangelsk, Russia.

Talking to the authorities, the shaken friend said that she was almost electrocuted when she tried to figure out if Semenova was still alive and help her out.

She spoke about her frightening experience: “I screamed, shook her, but she was pale, did not breathe, and showed no signs of life. I was really scared. When I touched her, I got an electric shock.”

Daria revealed that shockingly enough, she found Semenova’s iPhone intact in the tub plugged into a nearby outlet and still charging.

In a brief statement, the paramedics, who were called to the scene, confirmed that Semenova was killed by the phone.

The death of Semenova, who worked in a clothing store and loved fashion, has left many baffled, and they have paid tribute to her on social media. They are also leaving prayers for Semenova’s family.

The Russian emergencies ministry made the rare move of releasing a statement after the sad event took place.

The statement read: “The tragedy once again reminds us that water and an electrical appliance connected to the mains are incompatible.”

It went on to say: “The same applies to any mobile device. If you drown a smartphone, the worst thing is its failure. But when it is connected to the network, we see what the consequences are.”

The warning comes after multiple tragedies related to phones and other devices occurred in the country. In the summer of 2020, a teen Russian schoolgirl named Anna died in a similar manner.

The 15-year-old girl passed away in her Moscow home after sustaining an electric shock in her bath. In 2019, Liliya Novikova, a famous poker star, was killed after being accidentally electrocuted while in her bathroom as she was blow-drying her hair.

Novikova was Instagram and Twitch famous. The 26-year-old player was a math genius who earned a degree in engineering.

Russia’s Investigative Committee that investigated the death said at the time: “During the initial examination, traces of an electrical injury were found on the victim’s body.”

Some are wondering if political awareness can help reduce fatalities like these.

Conversations

Recommended For You