Princess Charlene of Monaco has appeared in photos from South Africa, where she sports an even more bold haircut than the one debuted last December.
And many royal fans have taken to social media to share their concerns about her health and well-being.
The 43-year-old royal has been spending time in South Africa seeing the work of her charitable foundation — Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation South Africa — which runs programs protecting rhinos and other wildlife.
She appeared in photographs this week on the charity’s Instagram page, where she was seen with a cropped hairstyle including shaved back and sides even more dramatic than when she first displayed the haircut last year.
A social media user had the following to say about the drastic look: “Please tell me this photo of her is photoshopped!! 😳”
A worried royal fan chimed in: “She always looks so depressed.”
Princess Charlene of Monaco was defended by this backer who asked others to be kind and added: “For everyone criticizing Charlene’s hair…I see a woman who looks exhausted. I see a woman who looks gaunt and unwell. Perhaps she is suffering in ways we don’t know? The point is, she is a human being who deserves the same softness and empathy she gives others.”
Princess Charlene is thought to have traveled to South Africa in March but has been prevented from traveling after contracting an ear, nose, and throat infection.
She has been married to Prince Albert, 62, since 2011, but they have barely been seen together this year.
The royal couple and their two children — 6-year-old twins Jacques and Gabriella — were seen together in early April for Easter.
It is not known whether the rest of the family traveled to join Charlene or if she flew back to Monaco and later returned to South Africa.
And amid her travel this year, her husband, Prince Albert, is facing a paternity suit from a Brazilian woman, 34, who claims her daughter, born in July 2005, is his child.
Prince Albert has taken DNA tests in the past, which have proved he is the father of two other children, but the latest lawsuit is said to be a “hoax” by lawyers working on the case.
The reigning Prince of Monaco was seen alone on Monday this week at the Oceanographic Museum, joined by Jacques and Gabriella but with no sign of Princess Charlene, who has said in the past that she will support her husband “a thousand percent.”
Some have applauded the princess for doing things her way.